I don’t know about you, but my life has been INSANE the past few weeks. It’s like as soon as I heard the word Thanksgiving, I was immediately booked hour to hour everyday for the next 100 years (or so it feels!) I love the business of the holiday, but feel that I owe you all an apology for my disappearance.
So, now the long awaited “Secret” family recipe I promised you!
For as long as I can remember my stepmom has started the holiday season with making her grandmother’s Red Hot Apple Butter. And it is TO DIE FOR! That may be because I’m just a complete sucker for apple butter, or it may be the fact that this recipe calls for lots and lots of cinnamon Red Hot candies, which give it an amazing little cinnamon spice.
This year we spent an amazing Sunday afternoon boiling and filling about 70 jelly jars! When making a batch this large it can certainly be a full day affair with a whole lot of ingredients, but for a smaller (more normal sized) batch it’s actually a fairly quick and easy process!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A Huge can of applesauce (6 lb 12 oz)
- 7 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup (or as desired) Red Hot candies
Here’s the super quick process:
- Put jars in a pot and allow them to boil while making your butter.
- In a separate pot mix Apple sauce, sugar, and vinegar and bring to a boil. (Make sure to stir constantly as soon as you turn the heat on. With this much sugar it will stick and burn VERY quickly.)
- Once the mixture starts bubbling stir in your red hots. Continue stirring constantly until candies melt.
- Remove jars from the boiling water and fill with butter immediately. You’ll want the jars and butter to be as hot as possible when you put the lids on so that they seal properly.
Told you that was easy! Make sure to leave a teaspoon or two unjarred so you can enjoy some nice warm butter right now!! I know I couldn’t help but try some 🙂
What are some of your family recipes? I’d lover to hear about them in the comments! And let me know if you give this apple butter a try! They make really amazing (and inexpensive) Christmas gifts!