Over the past few days we’ve been talking about Capsule Wardrobes. I’ve decided to give it a try , but had to wrap my mind around why I truly wanted to challenge myself. Saving time, money, and stress seemed like a good enough reason to me!
When I first read about capsule wardrobes I ended up browsing about 15 different websites trying to find the thing that would work best for me. Some would have you keeping 10 items and never shopping again in your life but I knew that I needed to do this in a way that was practical for my always evolving life.
- I knew that no updates and only necessities would be an issue for me
- I needed freedom to purchase new things for fun simply because shopping is something I genuinely enjoy
- I couldn’t get rid of every item I own for fear of missing it
- I need accessories to keep me from getting bored. These items will not count in my capsule.
What rules will and won’t work for you? Don’t be afraid to personalize this challenge to work well for you. If you want to continually keep 10 items in your closet without rotating any out for each season and only replacing things when they are worn out, then all the power to ya! If you need to keep 50 items, changing a few out each season, and continuously updating your list of essentials, then I support that too. Remember, fashion is supposed to be fun. The whole point of this is to allow us the opportunity to enjoy our wardrobe, find pleasure in getting dressed in the morning without being overwhelmed, and building our confidence by looking the best we can every single day!
Make sure to set aside a full afternoon to begin your purging process. This could take a while and the last thing you want to do is overwhelm yourself with a leftover mess of piles that are left untouched. Be sure to allow yourself enough time to feel like you actually got somewhere.
I’m getting more and more excited about this as each moment passes! So let’s get started!!
Start by taking every single item out of your closet. This gives you a clean space to work with and allows a fresh slate as you hang things up. This will help you in limiting the items you hang. With an empty space you will be tempted to keep it as clean and pretty as possible.
Piles work well for me, but if its easiest for you to go ahead and bag things as you go then go for it! Sort through each individual item and decide which category it belongs in.
- Hang It: This goes only for the things you absolutely LOVE!! Make sure it fits all of the criteria we’ve talked about. Is it comfortable? Do you feel amazing when you wear it? Does it fit perfectly? Do you want to wear this piece right now?! Only hang the items that you are excited about. You should love, love, love every thing that goes back in your wardrobe.
- Store It: As you sort through things you will most certainly come across that things that you wear often, or you like a decent amount, but maybe they don’t fit perfectly, or you just aren’t absolutely in love with. That’s okay! You don’t have to totally get rid of everything today. These will be things you decide to store. I have a spare closet that I moved everything into, so as to not have the fear of getting rid of too many things. If I was actually donating everything then I think I would have held on to things that I didn’t need just for a safety net. Moving them into a different room gave me the “out of sight, out of mind” while keeping the comfort of knowing I could change my mind if I needed too. Remember to only hang things in your everyday closet that you absolutely love. Anything else will stick out like a sore thumb the second you put it in your closet. These are the things that need to go in the store pile. When the next season rolls around go back through this pile. Some of the pieces may make it back into your capsule, and others will most certainly find their way into the donate pile. After a few months of not seeing these pieces, there’s a good chance you will realize you don’t like them as much as you thought you did.
- Donate/ Consign It: I generally prefer to take my items to Plato’s Closet or something similar in order to make some extra cash before giving it away. This pile would be any item that is outdated, doesn’t fit, or you just don’t really like anymore.
- Trash It: These are items that are ripped, stained, or too worn in. If it makes you look like you got it out of the trash then it belongs in the trash. No excuse, just toss it. You want to look good, remember?
The idea here is to limit yourself to as minimal amount of clothing as possible. The standard amount of items in finding is between 20 and 37, depending on what’s necessary for you to be content. However some things that won’t be included in my capsule are lounge clothes and workout clothes (I will keep these in separate drawers and will not be integrated into my capsule) as well as undergarments and accessories.
While you’re on a roll, go ahead and sort through all of your shoes, bags, and accessories too. Get rid of all of the clutter and unnecessary items. Clear out anything you havent worn in years, or that just doesnt really suit your style. It’s time to make some space. I promise you’ll feel great afterwards. Once you’ve gone through everything go ahead and put everything away. Pack up your storage items, and deliver everything else to a thrift store or the trash bin. Get it all cleaned up so that you can truly see the progress you’ve made!
How does it feel to have a clean space? If you were being completely honest with yourself, and are anything like me then you brought your wardrobe down to about 20 beloved items… And I can’t speak for you but MAN IT FEELS GOOD!!!! I LOVE seeing how spacious my closet is looking! And already I am finding joy looking into my closet, because I truly love every item in there. They are all pleasing to the eye, and just so happen to compliment each other very well.
I’d love to see what you saved! AND what you got rid of. Feel free to share pictures of your piles, and keep me updated on your progress by commenting below! Tomorrow we will see what I kept, and talk about how to build on your your capsule to make sure it is perfectly prepared for the season!