A Capsule Wardrobe Phase 4: The Number

If you’re just stepping into this series about capsule wardrobes go ahead and {start here} to get caught up!

So we finally got our closet cleaned out! It’s been purged, sorted, donated, and stored leaving us with a beautifully nearly empty closet! Once I was done with my purge I was only left with 28 items that I LOVE. Now that certainly wasn’t going to be enough clothes to get me through the entire fall season.

So how do you decide how many items will be enough for an entire season?

This of course is going to vary according to you! And that’s the thing I’m truly loving about this whole concept: I have tailored it to fit my lifestyle perfectly. It’s my capsule and only mine. The only rules I need to follow are my own. This applies to you too. Be brave! Find what will work for you and trust your gut on it!

Caroline from unfancy has a thing she likes to call the rule of three. It’s the idea of having one basic piece, one statement piece, and one in between. I loved this idea because it would prevent from boredom, while still keeping things matchable and in the same family. I decided to use this idea to help find my number.

Lets start with the breakdown

Choosing a number is important because it keeps you structured. Not having rules allows for frivolous purchases and a growing wardrobe. Keeping your number as a rule will allow you to replace items as they wear out or go out of style or season, always keeping your look updated and fresh.

For fall my number is going to consist of bottoms, tops, jackets, and dresses. It won’t include accessories or loungewear. I wont count cotton leggings either, as I mostly just wear them to lounge in or act as a black pant/ warmth with dresses. Shoes are often found included in a capsule, but I have decided to start with just clothing. I like the idea of having different styles of shoes so as not to limit myself in comfortability or versatility in any situation, but if you are led to include shoes in your number then you are much braver than I and I 100% support you!!

Bottoms: Pants are an everyday wear for me so I know they will need to be 2/3 of my bottoms, leaving 1/3 for skirts. Keeping the rule of three in mind I’m thinking:

• 3 pairs of jeans
  • 3 pairs of other style pants
  • 3 skirts

Tops: I am a layerer, so I will definitely need some more diversity here than on bottoms. I am always freezing and throwing a sweater or blazer on over every outfit, so this is what I get bored with most quickly. I will want that to be about 1/2 of my tops to keep me interested. I find I can wear the same undershirt a million times and not get very bored, because my other layers keep me interested. So here’s how I broke down my tops:

• 3 tank tops
  • 3 short sleeve
  • 6 long sleeve
  • 9 outer shell pieces (cardigans, blazers, button front shirts, etc.)
  • 3 jackets

Dresses: In the fall I tend to be a big baby. Dresses freeze me out so I know I won;t need any more than 3 of these.

• Dresses: 3

So, my number is 36. I like the sound of that. It doesn’t feel too limited, but also feels small enough that my closet will have room to breathe, thus allowing me to breathe and get creative! Now THAT’S exciting!

This is where we begin our shopping list!!! (The fun part!!! whooo!)

After my purge I went through my new capsule and took note of what I already have.

• 3 of 3 jackets
  • 6 of 9 outer shells
  • 4 of 6 long sleeve
  • 3 of 3 Short Sleeve
  • 3 of 3 Tank Tops
  • 3 of 3 jeans
  • 2 of 3 other pant styles
  • 1 of 3 skirts
  • 3 of 3 dresses

I already have 28 of my 36 items!

I will definitely go back through my store pile and see if I have anything I would like to use to fill in these gaps. Otherwise I am almost ready to start shopping! All we need to do now is discover style and talk about a budget, and we will be well on our way to an amazing capsule for the season.

Head on over the Phase 5 of The Capsule Wardrobe: The Shopping List

What’s your capsule number? Let me know in the comments below! Any fears or hesitations? Were you able to fill your entire capsule with things you already had, or do you have a major shopping list ahead of you? I can’t wait to hear!

With Love.

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

A Capsule Wardrobe Phase 3: The Purge | B E M Y I N T E N T I O N
    May 26, 2015 at 11:03 am

[…] Head on over the Phase 4 of The Capsule Wardrobe: The Number […]

amalia
    November 18, 2014 at 1:27 pm

You can tell that you’re artistic because you have such a variety of color in there! I’m going to try mostly B&W for a while until I get the hang of the capsule concept. 🙂

bemyintention
      November 18, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Yeah I’d go crazy without color! I can’t wait to hear how your wardrobe turns out!

nonkoreankrisa
    November 6, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I have to admit, I overslept this morning. So, as I was in a rush to get my butt out the door for work, I ran to my closet to find something to wear. But I have so many clothes that I felt even more stressed and overwhelmed than I already was for running late. This, paired with my need to develop a more “mature” wardrobe now that I’m in my 30’s and being totally inspired by you, has really made me consider giving this a try. I’m planning on going through my clothes this weekend and taking the first step to get my closet under control!

bemyintention
      November 7, 2014 at 10:47 am

So proud of you!! That morning stress is EXACTLY why I decided to take the challenge too!
      Today was actually my first day to put this to the test. I woke up and had ten min to do my entire getting ready routine! By the time I headed to my closet I had approximately 30 seconds… It was do relieving to not have to really choose what to wear. I grabbed my favorite jeans, a comfy tee, a cardigan, and a scarf and walked out the door. I don’t feel the cutest of my life today, but I still feel good, put together, and comfortable. All of the things that I usually struggled to have in a hurry but couldn’t seem to find through the mess. SUCH a relief (and I made it to work on time 🙂 )

therealjlow
    November 6, 2014 at 4:58 am

great little post here! I’m so glad I found you! Mine came in at 40 with shoes but as I have gone along I have definitely re assessed as the months have gone on and in different months I still have different requirements!

But I like you had some holes which I am also really happy with because as times gone along I have been able to readjust my initial thoughts on what my wardrobe needed! Can’t wait to read about how you find it! Jess

bemyintention
      November 6, 2014 at 6:39 am

I am so glad you’ve been following along!! And totally jealous that you were able to fit shoes into your number! I’m just not that brave yet… They are way too crucial for me but maybe I’ll get braver with time! I was definitely challenged on being okay with a smaller number of shirts, but we will see how it goes!
      Can’t wait to learn more 🙂
      Thanks for being a part of my journey! Makes this little piece of life a lot more fun!

therealjlow
        November 6, 2014 at 6:51 am

Barely! I have forty pairs of shoes in full so imagine cutting them down to nine! My first one finishes end of November and I think the next will be really different!

I look forward to seeing more! I think the capsule community is ace! xx